Continuous Thermally Fused Decorative Laminates with Antimicrobial Protection
- Thermally Fused decorative laminates that resist attack by microorganisms such as bacteria, mold
and mildew that can cause odors, stains and degradation of the laminate.
- Antimicrobial protection is built in during the manufacturing process and is designed to last for the
- useful life of the laminate. Distinct from surface coatings, will not wash or wear off. It is not a
temporary “treatment.” It is incorporated directly into the polymer’s molecular structure. Protection
does not alter physical properties of laminate in any way.
- Antimicrobial protection will not wear off and because it is not water-soluble, it cannot be washed
away. The materials stay active for the life of the laminate and provide continuous antimicrobial
protection. If the surface of the laminate were to be scrubbed or abraded, more antimicrobial agent
would migrate to the surface from the interior, and the surface protection against microbes would be
renewed. This process can be repeated over the laminate life.
- The antimicrobial additives function by damaging the cytoplasmic membrane of thin-walled
microorganisms such as bacteria, yeast, molds and fungi, and this causes leakage that disrupts their
ability to grow and reproduce
- Antimicrobial protection can be found in consumer, industrial and medical devices around the world
and has a long history of safe usage.
- Promising markets are residential, schools, government and health care.